Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quad Hump.

So, I've decided to accept the Rapha Rising Challenge. It calls for a lion's share of climbing to be done during the days of the Tour de France.



After the poseur prologue the other day, I headed into the West End to do about 15 hill repeats to net me 2500 feet of climbing. Knowing that I will be heading to Indiana in about a week, I feel as though I'm going to have to get about 90 percent of the vertical before I leave. Indiana isn't exactly conducive to racking up tons of climbing, even in the hilly southern portion I am headed to. Today, my goal was to get in about seven thousand feet, but I ended up eclipsing that number by a good margin. I tagged the local summits of Sauratown Mountain and Hanging Rock two times apiece, and logged another 45 or so miles in their shadows. All told, the mileage was around 55, with right about 8000 feet of climbing. On the way back from Hanging Rock the second time, I ran into a dog I had never seen before on Moore's Springs. He gave chase, and my legs protested heartily in my sprint away from him. No joke, he looked just like Eddy from American Flyers!



Honestly, 70,000 feet in three weeks seems a bit lofty, but I am going to give it a shot...it should put me in good form for the Hurt, Pain and Agony at the tail end of this mission. Today was a good day, tagging two category two climbs and two category threes.

Hanging Rock, and Moore's Wall as viewed from my descent of Sauratown Mountain.

No comments: