Saturday, April 23, 2011

Boone Roubiax 2011


Here's to you, Mr. Packfill!


Another installment of having fun on the bike, and performing in a mediocre manner was had at the 2011 Boone Roubaix. I finished 33rd of about 85, which is significantly better than my performance from last year.

The race started with a neutral roll out from Todd, and was considered game on when we crossed the bridge on Castle Ford road. Castle Ford starts with a decent little climb that isn't too terribly steep. The pace quickened across the one lane bridge and things started to stretch out. In a scene reminiscent of the Battenkill, I found myself in less than optimal position. I was able to accelerate around those being dropped off the back of the lead pack and tag on for the remainder of the first climb. I looked back to realize I was the last man in the lead pack, and there were only 22 people ahead of me. The field was shattered on the first hill.

We crossed the river a second time and hit the next hill, I knew I was in trouble because I was still pretty high in the red zone, and I slowly fell off along with about three others. The three of us regrouped, finished the climb strong, but in a bit of recovery mode and were caught by two others. the five of us worked together for the remainder of the little loop keeping the lead pack in sight. We let it all hang out on the descent back to the river on Big Hill road. We motored along in a single paceline and caught the leaders on Railroad Grade. Again, the first climb on Castle Ford was quick, and I was reeling from having chased. I quickly found myself alone on the second climb, and for most of the remainder of the second small loop. By the end of Big Hill, I had caught two others off the back of the leaders and a couple of others that were otb caught back onto me. Our group of five headed back into Todd to start the first big climb on gravel of the day: Carter Miller.

There was a short feed going into the gravel, and I snagged a bottle from an elderly woman on the side of the road. (she was intending to hand it up, I wasn't mugging her). Our group fell apart on the gravel and I soon found myself essentially alone. The climb up 194 found me back in a group, some from in front of me, some from behind. We worked together to the top and I killed it on the descent. Regrouping at the bottom, our crew worked together until the big climb on Mill Creek. After the paved Mill Creek climb, we again turned onto gravel and were faced with the steepest climb of the day, Big Flatts Church. There are climbs that riders can muscle over, some that they can gain a rhythm...this is neither. Riders simply survive this climb in whatever way they can...some walk. I finished up the climb and was able to catch onto a few on the gravel descent, then onto the paved descent back to Railroad Grade.

By the time we got back onto the finishing straight of Railroad Grade, we were a group of seven. We worked hard on the remaining eight miles of flat, fast, windy railroad grade in order to catch as many as we could, and not get caught by anyone. We got to the 2k to go sign, and the pace quickened a bit, but everyone was in a tight spot at this point after such a brutal race. Our group sprint was pretty tame, and since we were sprinting for a place in the high 20's-low 30's I figured it wasnt really worth the risk of getting tangled up and wrecking, so I rode in sitting up. A great day on the bike, many high points, and for the first time in any of my road races, I felt like I was actually racing, not just surviving. Satisfying.

4 comments:

Erich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erich said...

Packfill? No way. You didn't sit in and cruise, you had to work. Nice job.

Erich said...

oh and plus, it's all that training...

you'll enjoy the fruits of that labor all summer long.

The Clawhammer Cyclist said...

It seemed to carry over onto the Heartbreak ride pretty well. My legs felt great the whole ride until the very tail end of the descent. 20+ minutes of going through the gauntlet in power squat mode will make any legs tired though.