Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Caulk the Wagons and float it!

So I've been out and about the last couple of weeks since my last post. This may be the longest I have gone without an update on here since a couple years ago. To be honest, I'm afraid I am losing interest in keeping up the blog. Mostly, this lack of interest stems from the fact that I haven't really been doing anything blogworthy. Group rides, solo rides, fun rides, slow rides...but nothing too terribly exciting. Today, however, I took the dog for a hike from the Shoals access in East Bend up into Surry County. Those of you familiar with the area realize that there is something in the way between the Shoals access and Surry County: the Yadkin River.


There are designated fording areas across the river and to the islands that are set up for horses to cross, and lanky hikers. Well, some of you may remember, my dog isn't the most apt swimmer in the world, however today, she displayed some tadpole-esque moves. The ford is broken into three parts by two islands. The first ford had a moderate current, so I carried the dog across. I was concerned that she would get out into the current and end up down at Donnaha before she got across. Carrying a dog that is flailing about trying to swim (whilst in the air) and a backpack in waist deep water is inadvisable. I nearly bit it twice, but managed to stay upright. At the second ford, Lorien boldly took off and swam right across. Impressive. The third crossing was another deeper, speedier crossing, so it required some carrying. I was just glad to make it across without the wagon flipping over and drowning everyone.


The copilot chose the route, and we continued on...



After our forays in hiking, I decided to go for a little drive to check out some gravel roads I want to include on some rides. They were grand.


No comments: