Wednesday, June 29, 2011

zeee Gaps!

(to be read with a German accent) Heute ritt ich drei der vier Abstände, die in den unbeliebten Ausflug de Gaps mit einbezogen wurden! Today, I rode three of the four gaps involved in the infamous Tour de Gaps. I left the X at the top of Orchard Gap and set out on Boundary Road. I was set on trying to get in as much gravel as possible, and Boundary Road was an instant fix:



After just a couple of miles, I arrived at the top of the first gap I would descend, then climb back up: Willis Gap. I don't have much to say for this road aside from that I hate climbing it. It is terrible. 'nuf sed.

I caught back onto the parkway, and got onto Gunny Sack Trail. It was beautiful until it got to the point of being impassable on 25c tires. Beautiful nonetheless.


After rolling along parallel to the parkway on some other gravel roads, I got to the top of Squirrel Spur. Now this road, I love. Great descent with sweeping views of the Piedmont, pretty consistent grade for the return climb allows me to get into a rhythm.

Note Pilot and Sauratown in the background.


After having two gaps in my legs and some good rollers in between, I was out of water and decided to stop to eat and refill at Groundhog Mountain. I thoroughly enjoyed my time sitting under this great Pine. I just sat in the shade enjoying watching the flycatchers making meals of the Junebugs in the meadow.



I started back over to Orchard Gap and hit Boundary again, then down and back up to the country store at the top.


Post ride drink in honor of Mitch!


My GPS has been on the fritz again, but I think the mileage was just under 50 miles with about 7ooo feet of gain. Hefty day, but I took it at a fun pace and chilled.

2 comments:

Erich said...

I gotta quit going to work. It's causing me to miss rides like this!

The Clawhammer Cyclist said...

Perhaps, perhaps. Some cOmpany would been much appreciated!