Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bethabara Apple Festival

With conditions bordering on undesirable, I found myself alone for today's ride into Bethabara. Last year, Mitch and I made this ride in the mid-80 degree heat, but today I rolled out at 50 degrees. I decided it wisdom to don the embrocation and armwarmers.

Molly Cameron blend to keep my legs warm and dry today:



I was glad to have had the embro on towards the end of the ride, because I was definitely riding into the rain on the way home.

Some autodroppers will be seeing a similar scene here in a couple of weeks





Throughout today's ride I found myself reminiscing about my days last winter training for the Tour of the Battenkill. With the temperatures cool, and having to wear extra clothing, I couldn't help but harken back to those hard solo rides during the week. Once to Bethabara, I really began to notice the crispness of the air. The first hints of fall really are upon us, there were even some fallen leaves. These rides definitely establish a certain element of joie de vivre in my heart, in that I was able to stop mid-ride, relax and enjoy some hot cider and a slice of apple pie. Though it had the feel of the weather of the training rides from last winter, the mindset was entirely different. I was simply out on two wheels enjoying the time that has been given me.

No comments: