Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Burnt...

Well, I can say that I was disappointed in my performance at Burn. 11 laps for 80-90 miles....weak. I got 7 laps in before about 9:30 Saturday night and was feeling pretty strong throughout the afternoon laps.
Photobucket
Le Mans style start

Steve taking off leading out for team Saddleblock B
Photobucket



As evening approached, and the sun got lower in the sky, my stomach started to feel really heavy, as if there was a brick or something in it. I struggled through a couple more laps after this but then decided to take a nap in the hopes that my stomach would feel better. At about 1:30 my wife woke me up and I still felt sick so I stayed in the tent. Again at about 3:30 I woke up, got dressed, but couldn't stop shivering. Finally got motivated to get back out on the bike at 6 or so in the AM and got in a couple more laps (total count at this point 9). Fueled by a steady diet of Pringles and Burn, I started to feel pretty good at this point. I went back out for two more laps, and oddly enough, actually rode the entire last lap with Mark Hendershot...which was especially cool, just because he is the man. Overall, the race was a good time, I learned a lot about the strength of my mental will (or lack thereof) and what not to do next time....stop for a break, it only makes things worse, and harder to get back on the bike. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think had I not made a few mistakes I made, I might have been able to break out 18-20 laps....next time.

Early AM Lap
Photobucket


Goofy happy to be done
Photobucket

Spent
Photobucket

No comments: