Sunday, May 18, 2008

Heartbreak Ridge

This past wednesday Steve and I headed out to get in a long ride out of Old Fort. We headed up with the intention of doing Heartbreak and Kitsuma at least once. We were not able to complete our goal, more about that later....

We started off with the nine mile climb that is Curtis Creek road. The climb went incredibly fast, and we were both feeling pretty good. We stopped at the top for the obligatory Blue Ridge Parkway overlook pose-off.
Photobucket
We then headed down Heartbreak Ridge after a little hike-a-bike to the top. The Azaleas, Laurels, and Rhododendrons were in full bloom and were amazingly beautiful!
Photobucket
Our ride down heartbreak ridge was puntuated with stopping to clear the trail of windfall, but it was still fun even though the flow was broken.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We got to the intersection of Star Gap and continued down to head over to Mill Creek road. With about a mile left, I took a pretty good spill over a downed log and got a bunch of dirt/dust in my left eye. I then limped it down to the campsite to flush my eye out. We got everything out, or so we thought, and headed on our way. My eye was still bothering me, and by the time we got to the top of Mill Creek road I could hardly keep it open. To err on the side of caution we decided it best to head back to the car and call it a day. Still a pretty good ride with about 40 miles and 6000-8000 feet of climbing. Another great day in Pisgah!

No comments: