Sunday, September 27, 2009

Blue Ridge Parkway Ride




I had been wanting to get up on the parkway for some time now, and today was the perfect day. After a number of days with rain, most of which came yesterday, I'd been itching to get in a good ride. I loaded up the car, and headed up to Cumberland Knob along the NC/VA border. From previous experience, I knew that heading south afforded more worthwhile views and a couple pretty good climbs.

Self Portrait, Bullhead Mountain in the background.


On top of this, I had another motive...Mahogany Rock Road. Mahogany Rock is a part of the Hurt Pain Agony Metric that is put on by the BMCC. I've heard many a horror stories of the climb up to the parkway...the horror stories are true. To the tune of 28 percent. I pushed entirely too hard and the vomit factor was about 9.8. The total ride was only about 35 or so miles, with around 3500 feet of climbing. I was feeling pretty good today, and was able to keep a pretty good average even with all of the climbing. Beaufitul views were the staple of the day, and the trees above 3000 feet are starting to show a hint of that lovely fall color.

The view from Fox Hunter's Paradise


Fun day, leading into a very busy week. I'll probably only get out on the bike three times between today and next sunday...ouch!

The view towards the Piedmont was great....


Even with some elevation, one can't escape stupidity...tagging a BRP trash can? I didn't realize that this was such highly contested territory!

3 comments:

cameron said...

does that tag say CLM? Must have been Scott.
gangsta!!!

The Clawhammer Cyclist said...

Dude, that's hilarious, I thought the same thing at first too, CLM!

Scott said...

Guilty!