Tuesday, August 12, 2008

First Ride

I took the new Soma (it needs a nickname) out to Kerr Scott to hit Dark Mountain and the OVT early this morning. I ended up riding for a little over 4 hours and racking up over 30 miles of singletrack. Not a bad showing for being off the bike for 3 weeks, due, undoubtedly, mostly to the bike. The 34-18 gearing was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, I was only forced to walk a few of the tight steep switchbacks on the dark mountain side. After spending a few hours on this gear, I am confident that I could spend a few more hours on a 32-30 gearing that I had planned on with this bike! Anyways, the bike handles beautifully, just enough flex to take some serious edge off of high speed chatter, but still stiff enough that I don't notice any real flex when I am manhandling the bike trying to climb. To those of you that read this blog (both of you) I would highly recommend checking out Soma frames whenever you purchase your next bike, they're amazing!

No comments: