Friday, January 16, 2009

Last night I got a short night ride in at Tanglewood Park. I wanted to test out some new clothing I got for cold weather. In preparing for TMHTE I decided that I needed to break down and buy some proper winter clothing. Last night was a good night to test it out because the winds were cold and the temps were in the upper teens/low twenties. I ordered some AmFib clothing from Pearl Izumi Overall, I'm very pleased with the effectiveness of the windproof material. The gloves were so warm, my hands were actually sweating for part of the ride.


Crappy pic of me in the new clothing

Earlier this week I got an email from Eric, the race director of TMHTE with confirmation of registration, and a list of required gear.
Duo Mandatory Gear:1.Whistle, 1.compass, 1.pisgah map, 1.knife, 1.lighter, 2.emergency blanket, 2.front light, 2.rear light, 1.first aid kit, 1.water filter or iodine, 1+.RELIABLE digital camera (You will prove you were at the CP's by taking photos. No photo, no CP). 2.winter tights, 2.mid/heavy fleece upper, 2.rain jacket, 2.helmet (duh),1. 50* or better sleeping bag (night sections only)
After looking through the list and figuring out how to pack it all into a pack, I decided that especially because of the sleeping bag, I needed to go ahead and buy a new pack as well. I opted to get a CamelBak H.O.S.S. It's more than large enough to carry everything that I need for TMHTE, but I've also got some plans for some Bike-Camping this summer. I've been working on plans to do some kind of a point-to-point type of ride through Bent Creek/Pisgah/Dupont this spring/summer. Also, I've been hearing of some rumbling rumors that Todd is planning on putting on a four day point-to-point stage race in Pisgah. Sounds interesting!

No comments: