Wednesday, May 5, 2010

NWS Crit


Tonight was a very entertaining night, most of which I cannot explain here for the general public. Unfortunately the highlights must stay within the CLM in order that some peeps don't get fired up, but in any case, we did race tonight. We got to the speedway (yes, ye olde Nascar speedway in Wilkes-tucky) and registered. My number was a rather unfortunate number....

Duane and John raced in the 3/4 race, and decided to also do the 4/5 with Chancey, Mitch and myself. So, we had five from our little crew, then on top of that, two of the other PRP guys from my team were there racing as well. So we had a lot to work with in terms of teammates. Mitch and Chancey both took turns on the front and pulled well.

Even with their strong pulls, the pace was pretty tame all the way up until the last lap or lap and a half when things ramped up a bit. Right before things took off, one of the Clemmons guys sat up and started pulling up towards the wall (flat? spent? mystery?) but this is when the jump started. Thankfully I was right behind the guy so I was able to sprint around and keep in with the lead group of about 15(?). Around the back stretch, things got blown apart a little bit, and I found myself right behind Duane. Through the fourth turn and out of the saddle, things had already gotten so stretched, basically the sprint was to maintain our positions. Duane ended up fifth, and myself sixth. For my first combined cat crit (alliteration, hooray) I was pretty pleased with the result. Much fun was had by all until after the race when some less than savory folks (well, just one folk) had to take himself too seriously and make things un-fun. A quick dusting off of the shoes as we leave and things were golden on the car ride back.

Team Car needs to be painted orange and black...until we can get our hearse that is...


And now, a word from the sponsors

No comments: