Monday, August 23, 2010

Exhale Race Weekend

The Warm-up


Much fun was had at North Wilkesboro Speedway this past weekend with the NWS Exhale Race Weekend. There were about ten races each day, and most every racer could race in at least two per day, some people were able to rock out on three a day. Erich and I both raced in the 4/5 combined <35 and the 4 races both Saturday and Sunday.

Race #1- 4/5 Combined: Erich, Brian, and I pretty much tried to control the race from the start. We were on the front for probably 20 of the 25 laps, with Brian and Erich doing a majority of the work. The bunch sprint at the end went decent for me, but I wasn't in the best position and managed 8th.

Race #2- 4: Right off the gun, the Clemmons Bike Shop guys took off, and controlled the race the entire time. The repeated attacks by Clemmons softened everyone's legs, but Erich and I agreed that the 4/5 from earlier felt more physically taxing. Erich had a massive lead out, and I thought he may hold it for the win on the last lap, he was killing it. I was about twelfth wheel going into the last corner and managed to get up to 6th by the finish. The margin between 3rd and 9th was so close, woulda been nice to have been on the podium but I probably missed it by about a meter. maybe less.
Finishing Sprint with me in the pain cave.


Race #3- 4/5 Combined: Huge field of over 40 riders. Super sketchy moves. One dude got dropped off the back instantly but on each lap he would work his way back in and wreak havoc as he was spewn forth from the pack. Another dude couldn't hold a straight line to save his life, I dubbed him Nick Nolte. Pinched in in the last corner before the sprint and I didn't even get to open the legs up, 24th. Ouch. By far my worst placing in a crit.
Sunday's 4/5 Combined





Race #4- 4: Again, a pretty large field. Some of the 3 and even 4 women were racing with us. One was almost taken out as she was fighting for position. Massive surges followed by slower than comfortable sessions. 30mph to 18mph and back up again. The final lap, E and I were in great position sitting maybe 5/6th wheels. Another massive surge started and the sprint lasted essentially a half lap. This strung things out a bit, I lost my position by still managed either 9th or 10th. And no, thankfully I did not get "chicked."

Chilling in the pits after racing. V. Sport rocked First Aid and kept everyone cool...the beer garden next door surely helped too!


Great racing weekend put on by the team, Pirate Race Productions. I am looking forward to the cross series kicking off in a couple weeks as well as the Three Peaks Cyclocross Race. It's going to be a great Fall!

No comments: