Sunday, April 12, 2009

Westwood

I was able to sneak away from the house for a little bit tonight to get in a short ride at Westwood in Mt. Airy. The trails were in perfect condition, with little to no mud. The set of trails does not easily really make a loop, its more of a spiderweb of trails that you just meander around. There are some very cool sections with some steep rooty chutes, and there are some sections that lack any flow and the design of which is pretty lame. Overall though, from a technical standpoint it is the most technical trails within about an hour from my house, so it's worth the drive periodically.


Usually, when riding these trails, I'm fortunate enough to see some pretty cool wildlife. In the past, I've seen deer, turkeys, and even an extremely territorial groundhog that would not yield the trail. Today though, I was able to witness another animal, one that I've seen so seldom on these trails. I knew there was something else out there, I had heard some clinking noises and some huffing. I even caught a pleasant wiff of it. The scent I thought was...mmm...maybe Wisteria, or some other type of blooming tree/shrub. But alas, all the mystery was ended when around the bend came a female mountain biker wearing perfume...odd! Wearing a full Kenda race kit nonetheless...odder still!


All in all the ride went pretty smoothly, though, I did have one altercation, with a tree...stupid trees!


No comments: