Friday, June 18, 2010

Chubfest 2010


The plans for a gravelly ride today went by the wayside when I checked over the bike this morning. After last night's off road adventures with E, the front wheel is crazy out of true. I have no idea how I didn't notice it while riding. So with those plans scrapped, I decided to stick with the first part of the plan and add on hiking. I loaded up Lorien into the X along with all my fishing gear, and headed to Stone Mountain.

On the way out to my favorite little swimming hole, there is this section of the trail that always has me wondering when Magua is going to ambush us.




When we got to the swimming hole, I convinced, through much coaxing, Lorien to get into the water. She swam around a little bit, then decided to go lay down in the sun.


Cool with me, so I broke out the fly rod and got to work...catching chubs and shiners. Not a single trout. However, if I had one trout for every five or six of the throwaways I caught, I'd be grilling right now.



On the way back, we stopped in at the old Hutcinson homestead to take some photos. None turned out worthwhile. I always imagine what it would be like to have lived in that area when the cabins were built. It still feels relatively isolated today, but 150 years ago? It must have felt like the absolute middle of nowhere.

No comments: