Sunday, June 13, 2010

Off Road 55k5k5k



Yes, that's the real title. I woke up early this morning with a wild idea, ride 55 kilometers at Dark Mountain, followed by running a 5k...hopefully with 5k feet of climbing.




There was no real training idea behind this, just some arbitrary numbers for the heck of it. In the heat, everything just seemed so much harder. I drank five bottles of water, a 32 ounce powerade, and ate a gel and six shot blocks. I definitely could have used more calories, but couldn't force myself to eat anymore than that. With just that much food in my stomach, the heat made me feel like it wanted to make a second appearance.

Mushroom

The 5k of running after the mountain bike ride was way harder than the ride itself. After already having expended so much energy, my legs felt like they were on the verge of cramping (especially my hamstrings) for the entire run. I was unbelievably slow, but I expected as much after having spent more than three hours on the bike by this point.
Post ride/Pre run legs

Tomorrow's recovery ride will have to be just that, a recovery ride. Usually, things get fast at the end, but I will have to take it easy. I think that often, but the lure of going fast and trying to outsprint (ineffectively) against friends proves too much motivation for me to fight.

No comments: