Sunday, March 14, 2010

Another Great Weekend in the Mountains

After nearly a week apart, Lisa and I were more than anxious to see one another. She was on call at the hospital for the weekend, so the decision was made that I would head up to see her. No argument there from me, yet another chance to explore and fish in WNC...sweet! I arrived to fog and heavy rain friday night. I brought all my flyfishing equipment with the hopes that I could go if she had to work on Saturday. She had four appointments saturday morning, so I headed out to explore some wild water.


The water was much higher than normal, and relatively cloudy/stained with sediment. Grassy Creek and Cane Creek were both flowing pretty fast.


I felt a bit like Sisyphus, casting into the current only to have the fly float back to me in about an eighth of a second. I quickly felt rather absurd, so explored further upstream in hopes of a calmer pool of water.


I came across a small holding pond near the streams edge, so I cast into it. First cast and I feel a tug...

Yeah, that's a largemouth bass. The first bass I caught on the fly, came the first time I cast into a pond, while fishing this area for the first time...far out. As I headed back down to the B&B to meet Lis, I was greeted with this view of Mt. Mitchell. Definitely still socked in in snow. Wow.


We spent the remainder of the day in the Asheville area scoping out possible future places to live, and eating lots of pizza from Asheville Brewing Company

No comments: